Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 6, 2004 at 5:00 PM if you are interested.
Title: Black Rock Station (BRS) Ranch Manager / Facilities Operator
Department: Burning Man Nevada Properties
Reports to: Nevada Properties Manager (NPM)
Compensation Package: Salary Commensurate with Experience, Room & Board on the Premises
Type: Fulltime, Year-Round, Salaried
Mission: Provide Facility Services at Black Rock Station to the Burning Man (BM) Staff and Community.
1. Manage and maintain BRS including the power, fuel, water, waste, structures, general environment and overall conditions. Manage and administer services to buildings, power plant, water system, gates, fences, signage and general housekeeping.
2. Initiate, develop, and maintain an inventory of the properties,
materials and supplies stored at BRS. This task includes cooperating with and supporting other BM Departments.
3. Manage the labor staff reporting to the BRS Ranch Manager including the Assistant BRS Ranch Manager, Caretaker, Shop Manager and any other staff assigned by the NPM. Hold regular meetings as necessary, direct jobs, create job lists, track project man-hours.
4. Ensure that the BRS labor staff submit weekly departmental status reports. Submit overall BRS Operations Report to the NPM on a weekly basis.
5. Track equipment use including BM fleet vehicles and rental equipment at BRS. Initiate and track liability forms, operator authorizations and report misuse/damage. Ensure that vehicle and equipment operators are properly trained and licensed. Work with the Shop Manager to oversee maintenance on all vehicles and equipment. Maintain accurate and current records on all equipment and vehicles.
6. Maintain permanent residence at BRS for 12 months per year with vacation to be agreed upon with the NPM in advance.
7. Greet and direct volunteers and visitors at BRS to best inform them of current rules, procedures and protocols and to best utilize the resources available. Work with the Nevada Operations Labor Coordinator to collect “round up forms”. Host orientation sessions.
8. Ensure that the BRS is accessible and safe for all appropriate members of the BM Community. Maintain active membership in the Burning Man Safety Committee for the purpose of providing a safe work environment and promoting safe conduct. Update and maintain safety rules and policy at BRS. Conduct safety orientations. Inspect and ensure that fire extinguishers are current. Ensure that first-aid kits are on hand. Work under the direction of the BM Emergency Services Department.
9. Maintain vendor service and oversee appropriate inventory at BRS.
10. Monitor expenses for BRS operations and provide input into the Nevada Operations budget.
11. Responsible for creating and maintaining an accurate inventory of all BRS communications equipment including computers, telephones and radios.
Basic Qualifications and Skills Needed:
• Good communication, mediation and listening skills – ability to resolve interpersonal conflicts, a cool head
• Strong writing skills
• Computer literate
• Management experience
• Knowledge of organizational hierarchy
• Ability to interface with managers
• Ability to think on his or her feet, problem solve, critically think, and remain calm under stress
• Ability to interface well with local community
• Personality conducive to community relationships
• Ability and willingness to live in Gerlach or at BRS
• Knowledge of Burning Man
• Willing to travel for work
• Team player
• Ability to multitask
• Can take direction
• Physically fit
• Proven leadership skills
• Budget reporting skills
• Previous budget responsibilities
• Basic First Aid training at minimum
• Possess a valid Nevada Class “C” Driver’s License
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, February 6, 2004 at 5:00 PM.