- What if friends or family at home need to reach me for an emergency?
- Unfortunately, given the nature of the event, finding a participant on the playa is usually quite challenging. Cell phones don't work, and people don't generally have satellite phones. There is but limited internet access. Now add the fact that addresses on the playa are inexact even if you do know where you're camping ahead of time, and finding a person's camp can become very difficult. Preparation will help you stay in touch in an emergency.
- How can friends or family send me a message?
- Emergency messages should be sent to 911(at)burningman.com . The message will be passed to the Black Rock Rangers, who will do their best to deliver it. We will also make the message available at Playa Info in Center Camp, so if you're awaiting news or expecting emergency transmissions, you might want to plan to check in each day.
- What details should be included in an emergency message?
- The message should include first and last name, as well as any known nickname that you might go by around camp. It should also include the name of your theme camp or other affiliation (volunteer team, etc.), and its location if known, along with your vehicle make/license plate and any other unique features that will help with the search (such as, "camp has a 20 foot inflatable duck," etc.)
- What can prevent me from getting the message?
- Just a few of the variables that can get in the way: your camp relocates, or nobody's ever in camp when we come seek you out; your camp spot is obscured from view by other camps; the 20 foot inflatable duck deflates due to a leak; there are three camps with 20-foot inflatable ducks, and none of the neighbors know anyone named "Chris" because you have been introducing yourself all week as "Captain Underpants, Lord of the Duck People!" You get the picture.
In other words, you're heading to the middle of the desert, and there is no guarantee that we'll be able to deliver a message in an emergency; it's important to weigh that before you leave home. If you are awaiting news, you can actively check in at Playa Info, and in truly dire circumstances, you can take the bus into Gerlach to use the pay phone there.
More on emergency contacts
Donald Trump has reached the level of the real President of the USA. I can see just now that Trump has reached the level of the real President of…
Greetings fellow burners - These guys are 3 days away from the Kickstarter deadline, and (as of this moment) collected pledges for ~8K out of 12.…
The gent who legendarily pre-torched the Man in 2007, Paul Addis, has died from throwing himself in front of a BART train. Link to the article…