I thought I would put in a plug for our regional burn, which will take place at the end of next month. Burning Flipside occurs on Memorial Day weekend each year in Austin, TX. This week that is May 23 - 27. Tickets are still available. For those keeping score at home, this is 6 months before Burning Man in Nevada
Some of the stuff I participated in last year (no spectators!):
- improv puppet shows
- a 'white trash potluck,' complete with ritz crackers and spray cheese
- naked body oil wrestling
- bizarre, nonsensical antics unter blacklights
- a "dance club" made of huge sheets that blew in the wind, with projectors constantly throwing trippy imagery onto them.
- a bedoin style pleasure dome/dance floor
There were also:
- vegetarian fajitas and sushi for barter
- a kaleidoscope the size of a small car
- the Great Canadian Beaver Eating Contest
- at least two competing "cults" that baptized people in the creek and the swimming pool
- more firespinners than you can shake a stick at (there will be even more this year)
More than that I experienced real interpersonal connection with strange and amazing people who I came to consider family or perhaps tribesmates. There was an atmosphere of total acceptance, which allowed for an amazing exchange of ideas.
The event is smaller than Burning Man (hundreds rather than thousands of people) but this lends the event an amazing intimacy. This year's event already boasts a diverse array of theme camps.
Tickets are still available over the web for $55, but the event is expected to sell out (or come close) this year.